Saturday, April 23, 2011

Angel and the Assassin by Fyn Alexander

Genre: bdsm; contemporary romance; m/m romance; romance

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

How I acquired this book: I purchased it.

Goodreads Blurb: Kael Saunders loves to dominate handsome, masculine men like himself. Being in charge is his way of life whether it be in his work with the Secret Intelligence service, his personal life, or in the dungeon. The last thing he expects when he is out on a hit is to fall in love with Angel, an eighteen-year-old boy desperate for the love and guidance of a Daddy. Yet Angel also has a passion for being spanked and restrained. Two very different men find love in a world of skilled assassins, Bosnian terrorists, and dungeon play.

Publisher's Note: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: BDSM theme and content, male/male sexual practices.

My Review: Oy. I have conflicting opinions about this book. I began it wondering if the author could make the main character, assassin Kael Saunders, sympathetic. Overall, I'd say the answer is no. Kael's an intriguing character to be sure--and he does have his redeeming moments. But I still find a ruthless assassin a tough sell; especially as Kael's willing to murder innocent witnesses.

(I find it even more problematic that Kael is a government-sanctioned assassin, and that the 'collateral damage' from his hits are likewise sanctioned; that doesn't say much for the author's opinion on the UK government.)

I had problems with Angel too. He never quite rang true to me. I have no issue with his daddy kink-he's not actually related to Kael, after all, and both men are of age. However I did find Angel's sex and bdsm scenes with Kael excessive and drawn out. (Ditto for the other sex and bdsm scenes in the book.) But more importantly, I found it hard to get a handle on a young man who's sometimes less mature than a five year old, and other times as wise as a Jedi Master.

And yet, I kept reading. That's partly due to another character who has a complicated--not to mention disturbing--relationship with Kael: Kael's boss, Conran. I found the, ah, strained interactions between Conran and Kael a better reason to keep reading than the romance between Kael and Angel, and ultimately worth staying the course for.

One last note: despite my ambivalence toward this book, there are plenty of people who love it. I've included a link to a rave review below.

On Kindle: Yes. Find it on Amazon here.

Other Reviews:
Jessewave

No comments:

Post a Comment